No matter if your business is online or offline, if you want to get new customers on board, building an online presence using business listings is essential.
Some time ago, Yellow Pages was probably the most preferred choice of listing the business which has now moved online to more categorized websites which help feature detailed information of businesses to attract new customers to help drive their business. These online business listings in directories have both advantages and disadvantages. Let’s dive into the pros and cons to help you come up with a relevant business strategy.
- Cheaper solution: With the availability of both free and paid business listing available to suit your budget and objective, online directories are probably one of the economical digital solution available.
- SEO benefits: With authentic and updated information of your business listed in the online business directories will help you rank better on google amongst your competitors and help you with search engine optimization. Apart from that, it will also help you drive traffic and create awareness about your business.
- Targeting ready to buy customers: A recent study indicated that 84% of the customers researching online for a vendor, supplier or service provider can be placed in the intent to the ‘purchase segment’ of the Marketing Funnel. They are interested in making a purchase and are looking for the right business to deal with.
- Tracking the performance: If you have a business website, ensure google analytics is also plugged to monitor the traffic, clicks and conversion every channel is driving to your website. You will notice that in the long run online directory listings will start acting as referral traffic source, which will make it easier for you to optimize the relevant listings and remove the one that is giving you spam links or black hat SEO.
- Inaccurate listing: This is one of the major drawbacks for any business listed online. If the information displayed on these online business listings are inaccurate and inconsistent across websites/directories, would affect the reputation and trust-ability of the business.
- Time-consuming: Having to list your business on multiple platforms can be time-consuming and a manual process. You’ll need to prioritize and shortlist the most relevant online directories that you’d like to feature your business.
- Sales call: Expect sales and marketing calls to upgrade your account to a paid plan for more features. You may also notice that some listing would disappear from websites if not complied to the paid listing. Ensure you are aware of your contractual rights while you work with a directory.
- High competition: Know that your ads or listings are probably going to appear alongside your competitors. It’s all about how accurate and relevant the information is. You may add photos and videos apart from just featuring your website, location and contact details.
Having your business listed both online and in print directories are essential. Moreover, displaying in business listing directories is just winning half the battle, it’s essential to optimize and update on a regular basis. Amongst the hundreds of directories, you may find, it is essential to list your business in the right category in the most dominant and authentic online directories. Last but not the least, ensure your listing has a CTA (call to action) to direct customers to your website or profile for more information which will help your SEO backlinking as well.
Interesting read? Do you know any more pros and cons from your experience listing in business listings? Share your thoughts and feedback in the comment box below.